Monday, April 19, 2010

It's All About the Music!

This past week (and especially the past few days) have been an interesting and eclectic mix of musical experiences for me. I'm not terribly picky about my musical tastes, but I will admit there are some genres I can only take in moderation.

Early last week while filing CDs at work, I came upon an album by the duo Over the Rhine. I have heard the name before, but didn't know what their sound was like. I checked out the three albums the library had and have been playing them pretty much continuously in my stereo. The lead vocals sound like something I've heard before, but I just cannot pin point it to save my life.

This past week has also thrown me into a different kind of musical experience - musical theater. I really enjoy playing in pit orchestras and especially enjoyed my first time on stage this past fall. Muncie Civic Theatre just opened with High School Musical. I haven't really been exposed to this musical in any way (by movie or soundtrack) before this past week. I will admit, it's a cute show. I can understand how people enjoy it. The tunes are catchy in that can't-get-them-out-of-your-head kind of way.

The third annual Muncie Springfest was also this past weekend. Although after being shut down early on Sunday due to an apparent breach of contract with the venue, we will have to see if it happens next year. I was lucky enough to win two three-day passes to the event, but could only see a few bands because of my busy weekend. There were over 40 bands performing on three stages. I missed out on seeing Particle, and Catch Curtis, but was able to see some other bands like 8 Stories High, and UV Hippo. I was all set to head back to the venue when I heard the last few bands were moving downtown. A friend and I went and ended up hearing Great American Taxi. They had a really great sound. It was a mix of blues, bluegrass, and a little country thrown in there.

It was quite the busy weekend, but I enjoyed every minute of it. Good friends, good music. I don't need much more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment